- Short-term forecast, emphasizing weather parameters most important to visitors in the Jenny Lake / String Lake / Leigh Lake region
- Animations of expected weather radar and expected wind gusts updated daily.
- Other weather parameters added when they may be significant.
- For orientation, animation maps show Wyoming and a small portion of the surrounding states.
- Temperature graphic is for the Airport. Subtract a couple of degrees for String Lake and 3-5 degrees if a visitor asks about Colter Bay.
- The wind gusts forecasts are usually (in the summer) a reasonable forecast for average sustained wind speeds at 9,000 – 11,000 feet for backcountry hikers.
- For those with access to Grand Teton Park Radios: Channel 16 is NOAA Weather Radio
Smoke, heat, and a couple of showers.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny but slightly cooler. Not as breezy with afternoon wind gusts 10-15 mph. Highs in the low to mid 80’s.
Thursday: Mostly sunny in the morning and increasing clouds in the afternoon. Good chance for afternoon showers & and thunderstorms, some of which may be strong. Generally light winds except gusts 30-35 mph in the vicinity of thunderstorms. continued warm. Highs in the mid 80’s.
Smoke forecast: Fires in Oregon, Idaho and Washington are producing wildfire smoke over the Tetons and much of the west. Expect smoke will again increase and thicken Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday, the thunderstorms and decrease in the fires’ intensity may lessen the smoke in GTNP. It will still be noticeable, but not as thick as recent days. Smoke density will decrease as you head north. Click here for an animation of smoke concentration over the northwest U.S. for the next two days.
Friday – Saturday: Mostly sunny and continued warm. Chance for isolate afternoon showers on Friday. Highs in the mid 80’s.
Sunday – Tuesday: Mostly sunny and hot. Highs in the lower 90’s.
Expect above normal temperatures and below normal precipitation for the remainder of July and into August.