- Short-term forecast, emphasizing weather parameters most important to visitors in the Jenny Lake / String Lake / Leigh Lake region
- Animations of expected weather radar updated daily.
- Other weather parameters (snow, wind, etc.) added when they may be significant.
- For orientation, animation maps show Wyoming and a small portion of the surrounding states.
- Temperature graphic is for the Airport. Subtract a couple of degrees for String Lake and 3-5 degrees if a visitor asks about Colter Bay.
- The wind gusts forecasts are usually (in the summer) a reasonable forecast for average sustained wind speeds at 9,000 – 11,000 feet for backcountry hikers.
- For those with access to Grand Teton Park Radios: Channel 16 is NOAA Weather Radio
- Click here for access to the NOAA smoke-forecasting site.
- Click here for an animation of smoke concentration over the northwest U.S. for the next two days.
More showers; less smoke. Heat returns this weekend.
Thursday: Mostly sunny in the morning and increasing clouds in the afternoon. Good chance for afternoon showers & and thunderstorms, some of which may be strong. Generally light to moderate winds except gusts 30-35 mph in the vicinity of thunderstorms. continued warm. Highs in the mid 80’s.
Friday: Very similar to Thursday with another good chance for afternoon showers and thunderstorms, some of which may be strong. Breezier in the afternoon with wind gusts 20-24 mph outside of thunderstorms. Highs again in the mid 80’s.
Smoke forecast: Fires in Oregon, Idaho and Washington are producing wildfire smoke over the Tetons and much of the west. Idaho, western Montana and western Wyoming have the heaviest smoke coverage. Expect moderate smoke concentrations on Thursday, an improvement from Wednesday’s heavy smoke. On Friday we should see a significant improvement; the smoke should appear as no more than a light haze.
Saturday: Mostly sunny and very warm. Highs in the upper 80’s.
Sunday – Monday: Mostly sunny and hot. Highs in the lower 90’s.
Tuesday – Wednesday: Mostly sunny and very warm. Chance of showers Wednesday afternoon. Highs in the upper 80’s.
Expect above normal temperatures and below normal precipitation for the remainder of July and into August.