- Short-term forecast, emphasizing weather parameters most important to visitors in the Jenny Lake / String Lake / Leigh Lake region
- Animations of expected weather radar updated daily.
- Other weather parameters (snow, wind, etc.) added when they may be significant.
- For orientation, animation maps show Wyoming and a small portion of the surrounding states.
- Temperature graphic is for the Airport. Subtract a couple of degrees for String Lake and 3-5 degrees if a visitor asks about Colter Bay.
- The wind gusts forecasts are usually (in the summer) a reasonable forecast for average sustained wind speeds at 9,000 – 11,000 feet for backcountry hikers.
- For those with access to Grand Teton Park Radios: Channel 16 is NOAA Weather Radio
- Click here for access to the NOAA smoke-forecasting site.
- Click here for an animation of smoke concentration over the northwest U.S. for the next two days.
A warm and dry start to October
Thursday: Mostly sunny after a hard freeze Thursday morning. Afternoon wind gusts 10-15 mph.Highs in the low 60’s.
Smoke forecast: The Park will see no more than light smoke from fires on Thursday and Friday. Much of the time the smoke will look like only a light haze.
Friday – Wednesday: Mostly sunny, dry and seasonably warm. Highs 65-70 deg.
Outlook through mid October: Above average temperatures persist well into Autumn. Chance of some measurable rain the second week of October.
This will be my final forecast for the 2021 season. I hope you found them useful!