- Short-term forecast, emphasizing weather parameters most important to visitors in the Jenny Lake / String Lake / Leigh Lake region
- Animations of expected weather radar updated daily.
- Other weather parameters (snow, wind, etc.) added when they may be significant.
- For orientation, animation maps show Wyoming and a small portion of the surrounding states.
- Temperature graphic is for the Airport. Subtract a couple of degrees for String Lake and 3-5 degrees if a visitor asks about Colter Bay.
- The wind gusts forecasts are usually (in the summer) a reasonable forecast for average sustained wind speeds at 9,000 – 11,000 feet for backcountry hikers.
- For those with access to Grand Teton Park Radios: Channel 16 is NOAA Weather Radio
- Click here for access to the NOAA smoke-forecasting site.
- Click here for an animation of smoke concentration over the northwest U.S. for the next two days.
Two hot days ahead; smoke returns for a time Sunday afternoon
Sunday: Mostly sunny and hot. Light to moderate winds, with afternoon gusts 12-16 mph. Highs around 90 deg.
Monday: Mostly sunny and hot, with some widely scattered afternoon showers. Moderate afternoon breezes, with gusts 15-20 mph. Highs around 90.
Smoke forecast: The heaviest smoke concentrations will be over western NV, eastern OR, western and northern ID, and MT. Sunday will start off with light smoke, but smoke concentrations will become heavy in Grand Teton by late afternoon, with significant reductions in visibility. Monday, the smoke will decrease to a light haze by afternoon.
Tuesday – Friday: Mostly sunny and warm. Chance of showers each afternoon. Best chances for showers and thunderstorms will be Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Highs in the mid 80’s.
Expect above normal temperatures for the remainder of July and into August. The latter part of July may not be as dry as the first half of the month.