- Short-term forecast, emphasizing weather parameters most important to visitors in the Jenny Lake / String Lake / Leigh Lake region
- Animations of expected weather radar updated daily.
- Other weather parameters (snow, wind, etc.) added when they may be significant.
- For orientation, animation maps show Wyoming and a small portion of the surrounding states.
- Temperature graphic is for the Airport. Subtract a couple of degrees for String Lake and 3-5 degrees if a visitor asks about Colter Bay.
- The wind gusts forecasts are usually (in the summer) a reasonable forecast for average sustained wind speeds at 9,000 – 11,000 feet for backcountry hikers.
- For those with access to Grand Teton Park Radios: Channel 16 is NOAA Weather Radio
- Click here for access to the NOAA smoke-forecasting site.
- Click here for an animation of smoke concentration over the northwest U.S. for the next two days.
Two more hot days, then big changes coming.
Monday: Mostly sunny and hot. Highs around 90. Light winds.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny and very warm, with a chance of afternoon showers and thunderstorms. Highs near 90 deg. Southerly winds becoming gusty in the afternoon. Winds will likely build the fetch towards the dispersed campsites and the northern shore of Leigh Lake.
Smoke forecast: Significant fires continue to burn in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and northern California. Moderate to occasionally heavy (especially in the afternoon and evening) smoke concentrations will continue in Grand Teton Park on Monday. Expected decreasing smoke concentrations on Tuesday, due to a combination of shifting winds (winds more from the south than from the west) and afternoon showers and thunderstorms that will help wash the smoke out of the air.
Wednesday: Sunny mornings with scattered afternoon showers. Not as hot with highs in the mid-80’s.
Thursday – Friday: Sunny mornings with a good chance for afternoon showers and thunderstorms. Cooler with highs in the low 80’s.
Saturday – Monday: Continued afternoon showers and thunderstorms. Cooler still with highs in the mid to upper 70’s.