- Short-term forecast, emphasizing weather parameters most important to visitors in the Jenny Lake / String Lake / Leigh Lake region
- Animations of expected weather radar updated daily.
- Other weather parameters (snow, wind, etc.) added when they may be significant.
- For orientation, animation maps show Wyoming and a small portion of the surrounding states.
- Temperature graphic is for the Airport. Subtract a couple of degrees for String Lake and 3-5 degrees if a visitor asks about Colter Bay.
- The wind gusts forecasts are usually (in the summer) a reasonable forecast for average sustained wind speeds at 9,000 – 11,000 feet for backcountry hikers.
- For those with access to Grand Teton Park Radios: Channel 16 is NOAA Weather Radio
- Click here for access to the NOAA smoke-forecasting site.
- Click here for an animation of smoke concentration over the northwest U.S. for the next two days.
One more hot day, then showers and a (slightly) cooler week ahead.
Monday: Mostly sunny, then becoming mostly cloudy with afternoon showers and thunderstorms developing and continuing into the late evening. Moderate afternoon breezes, with gusts 12-16 mph, except higher around thunderstorms. Hot, with highs again around 90.
Tuesday: Variable cloudiness and noticeably cooler, with the chance for scattered showers and thunderstorms, especially in the afternoon. Heaviest precipitation though will stay to the east of the Park. Moderate breezes with gusts 15-20 mph. Highs in the lower 80’s.
Smoke forecast: Heaviest smoke concentrations remain over northwestern NV, eastern OR, northern ID, and much of MT. For Grand Teton, there will be noticeable, but light smoke on Monday, decreasing throughout the day. On Tuesday, there will be very little smoke in our skies – the lowest concentrations in over a week.
Wednesday – Sunday: Mostly sunny and warm. Chance of showers each afternoon. Best chances for showers and thunderstorms will be Thursday and Friday afternoons. Highs in the mid 80’s each day.
Expect above normal temperatures for the remainder of July and into August. The latter part of July may not be as dry as the first half of the month.