- Short-term forecast, emphasizing weather parameters most important to visitors in the Jenny Lake / String Lake / Leigh Lake region
- Animations of expected weather radar updated daily.
- Other weather parameters (snow, wind, etc.) added when they may be significant.
- For orientation, animation maps show Wyoming and a small portion of the surrounding states.
- Temperature graphic is for the Airport. Subtract a couple of degrees for String Lake and 3-5 degrees if a visitor asks about Colter Bay.
- The wind gusts forecasts are usually (in the summer) a reasonable forecast for average sustained wind speeds at 9,000 – 11,000 feet for backcountry hikers.
- For those with access to Grand Teton Park Radios: Channel 16 is NOAA Weather Radio
- Click here for access to the NOAA smoke-forecasting site.
- Click here for an animation of smoke concentration over the northwest U.S. for the next two days.
Hot Monday, transition Tuesday, then a much cooler and wetter few days
Monday: Sunny in the morning, then variable cloudiness in the afternoon with widely scattered showers and thunderstorms by late afternoon. Showers and thunderstorms continuing into Monday night. Afternoon winds gusting 15-20 mph. Very warm, with highs in the upper 80’s.
Tuesday: Variable cloudiness with isolated morning showers, then showers and thunderstorms becoming more numerous by afternoon. Showers should end by evening. Breezy with winds gusting 25-30 mph by afternoon in the valley and 35-45 mph above 9000 feet. Highs in the mid 80’s.
Smoke forecast: Heavy smoke is over and to the west of Grand Teton. Expect heavy smoke on Monday. We will see gradually improving smoke conditions on Tuesday with only moderate concentrations by evening. This smoke is NOT locally produced (from the Moran fire, etc.) but rather an amalgamation of all the CA/OR/WA/BC fires currently burning. With luck, the cold front on Wednesday will clear out much of the smoke.
Wednesday: Mostly cloudy with periods of rain, showers, and an occasional thunderstorm developing in the afternoon. Much cooler with highs around 70 deg.
Thursday-Saturday: Variable cloudiness with morning fog and afternoon showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid to upper 60’s.
Sunday: Partly to mostly sunny. Highs in the low 70’s.