- Short-term forecast, emphasizing weather parameters most important to visitors in the Jenny Lake / String Lake / Leigh Lake region
- Animations of expected weather radar updated daily.
- Other weather parameters (snow, wind, etc.) added when they may be significant.
- For orientation, animation maps show Wyoming and a small portion of the surrounding states.
- Temperature graphic is for the Airport. Subtract a couple of degrees for String Lake and 3-5 degrees if a visitor asks about Colter Bay.
- The wind gusts forecasts are usually (in the summer) a reasonable forecast for average sustained wind speeds at 9,000 – 11,000 feet for backcountry hikers.
- For those with access to Grand Teton Park Radios: Channel 16 is NOAA Weather Radio
- Click here for access to the NOAA smoke-forecasting site.
- Click here for an animation of smoke concentration over the northwest U.S. for the next two days.
Welcome relief short-term; a hot Sunday-Monday coming up.
Friday and Saturday: Mostly sunny in the morning and increasing clouds in the afternoon. Good chance for afternoon and evening showers & and thunderstorms, some of which may be briefly strong. Generally light to moderate winds except gusts 30-35 mph in the vicinity of thunderstorms. continued warm. Highs in the mid to upper 80’s.
Smoke forecast: Much of the heaviest smoke concentrations will either remain in Idaho ormove north of the Park and into Montana. For Friday and Saturday, the smoke will appear more as a haze with less obscuration than we’ve seen over the past week. On Friday afternoon we might see moderate smoke concentrations for a few hours.
Sunday – Monday: Mostly sunny and hot. Highs in the lower 90’s.
Tuesday – Thursday: Mostly sunny and very warm. Chance of showers each afternoon. Highs in the mid to upper 80’s.
Expect above normal temperatures and below normal precipitation for the remainder of July and into August.